[meteorite-list] Meteorite presentations

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:00 2004

Dear Robert and List;
I always offer "depending on your geologic and theological beliefs", and
offer up that there are things that I do not know how to explain about
meteorites, crystals, moldovite, etc. This brief action seems to put at
bay the zealots of he-be Je-be, and the zealots of the Mormon Church
that surround me at times.
I also offer up the idea that along with good and bad science is good
and bad religion. I also take a moment and humorously suggest that
spiritual and religious practices are different. Then, I go back to my
meteorite show and tell just as it needed to be addressed but neither
one should detract from my love of the other (meaning rocks, meteorites,
or spiritual values). By addressing he-be Je-be's, and religious nuts
who possess no scientific knowledge at the front, and by going at all
with an "as a matter of fact" followed by "we don't know it all", seems
to put most in a positive and not so analytic mood to enjoy the
presentation and "take which they like and leave the rest". I sometimes
finish up with "if you liked what you heard, tell everybody, if you
didn't like what you heard, don't tell anybody" and by enthusiasm and
humor, I allow the audience to make up their own mind to either be wowed
big time, or to humbly sneak off being unentertained and unconverted.
 We can not educate the uneducateable.
I have found that I talk fast, and put a lot of enthusiasm in a short
program. No more than 30 minutes maximum, and no more than half a dozen
meteorite specimens, one book (yup, Rocks From Space) and sometimes
Robert Haag's catalog, and maybe one or two posters (Hubbell picture of
eagle nebula and a poster by he-whose-name-we-do-not-utter).
Many times, less is more, feed the crowd a few really juicy tidbits, and
after the presentation, those that are still hungry can come forward
individually, or get a card and contact me later. This tends to avoid
those who had the woods catch fire near there house from meteorites,
from taking over the presentation. I try to deal with the "grandpa
found a meteorite" person by going directly to my rehearsed "did he have
it sent to a meteorite lab...not a geologist?". Usually this puts the
person to shut up mode or I change the topic really fast. If the
conversation gets ugly, I unholster the "if your suspected meteorite is
so valuable, why do you not sell it and retire?". By that point, the
war is lost anyway...sometimes I offer $10 to them if it is a nice
quality meteorwrong, more to insult than to aquire.
Humor and briefness, and less is really more seem to be the successful
tact in lecturing general interest groups. I try really hard to get
everyone interested to actually hold one of my specimens...and I keep an
eye on what is out of the box (including myself).
Best,
Dave Freeman