[meteorite-list] glorieta pallasite

From: Steven Schoner <american_meteorite_survey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:18 2004

--- harlan trammell <skyrox_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

<HR>
little blobs of glorieta have been for sale w/ little
or no olivene. well, then comes the main mass that's
load w/ it. are the blobs and the readily available,
olivene -loaded main mass the same skyrock? has there
been any geochemistry match-ups done on these? if yes,
then why are the olivenes so absent in the old blobs?
any body got pix of a sliced etched blob w/ olivne
crystal in it? i know that on my "main mass" slice, it
is loaded up w/ sulfides(troilite i guess). are
troilites found in the old blobs? also any of you
"dealer types" got any blobs 4 sale w/ visible
olivene? nosey noses wanna know.</DIV></div><br
clear=all><hr>Add photos to your messages with <a
href="http://g.msn.com/8HMZEN/2021">MSN 8. </a> Get 2
months FREE*.</html>

The small ones recovered over the years are indeed
directly related to the "main mass." In fact, what
they are is spalled off chunks from the backside of
the "main mass"

If one saw this mass in it's entirety, what was
immediately apparent was that it was oriented, a
definite nosecone profile with one side missing and
the back completely blasted into little rounded
fingers and projections, exactly like the little blebs
found.

In fact it was the distribution of the little ones
that I found over the years that I searched that
pointed me in the right direction that led to the very
fortunate result in finding the main pallasitic mass.

In 1885 Dr. Kunz gave a full description of the three
masses found in prior to that year, and noted that a
piece approximately 40 to 50 lbs was missing. If I
recall mention was made that it might be pallasitic--
exactly what I found.

The sulfides that you noted certianly caused the
disruption of the mass into all the smaller pieces
that spalled off the backside of the larger pallasitic
mass after it broke away from the larger irons.

There are some small masses that have exactly the same
composition as slices from the "main mass." And I
recovered many of these which are now distributed in
collections world wide.

It is the composition of the iron component that links
the irons with the pallasites. Both trace elements
and the % of Ni directly link them.

Regards,
Steve Schoner #4470
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey