[meteorite-list] A fine line-an additional thought

From: LabNEMS <staff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:18 2004

--=====================_134004770==_.ALT

Steve / List:

Thanks for the response.

What caught my interest and concern was the definitive / declarative heading:

"South Texas Meteorite - 36+ kilograms"

in combination with the disclaimer in the description. This may be a
"foundational
statement" that will now show up with other specimens being offered and if
so, we're
walking that "fine line".

I've watched the ongoing list discussions about different "pseudos"
being offered. There doesn't seem to be a suitable answer for all (meaning
the
List-collective and the Ebay seller).

Those well-grounded in the meteoritical sciences know that it either is or
is not a
meteorite. I don't think that one can have both as is presented in the above
listed Ebay offering but maybe this is the closest or best case that we'll
see.

Russ K.
New England Meteoritical
www.meteorlab.com

At 08:09 PM 11/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Russ,
>One other thing came to mind, was that Ebay will go after sellers who claim
>that their auction is for a genuine name product. If for example someone
>offers a "genuine"
>Rolex watch, a Prada hangbag, Gucci Luggage, etc, it has to be the real
>thing. If the seller puts into their description: Gucci like, simulated
>Rolex, they're partially off the hook. I once read that the Prada company has
>gone after sellers of "knock-off" hand bags, in Copywrite Infringement
>lawsuits. Ebay has been cooperative in that respect. Unfortunately,
>Meteorite is not a brand name.
>
>Best,
>
>Steve Sachs

--=====================_134004770==_.ALT

Steve / List:<br>
Thanks for the response. <br>
What caught my interest and concern was the definitive / declarative
heading:<br>
<b>&quot;South Texas Meteorite - 36+ kilograms&quot; <br>
</b>in combination with the disclaimer in the description.&nbsp; This may
be a &quot;foundational<br>
statement&quot; that will now show up with other specimens being offered
and if so, we're<br>
walking that &quot;fine line&quot;. <br>
I've watched the ongoing list discussions about different
&quot;pseudos&quot;<br>
being offered.&nbsp; There doesn't seem to be a suitable answer for all
(meaning the <br>
List-collective and the Ebay seller).<br>
Those well-grounded in the meteoritical sciences know that it either is
or is not a<br>
meteorite.&nbsp; I don't think that one can have both as is presented in
the above <br>
listed Ebay offering but maybe this is the closest or best case that
we'll see. <br>
Russ K.<br>
New England Meteoritical<br>
At 08:09 PM 11/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:<br>
One other thing came to mind, was that Ebay will go after sellers who
claim <br>
that their auction is for a genuine name product. If for example someone
offers a &quot;genuine&quot;<br>
Rolex watch, a Prada hangbag,&nbsp; Gucci Luggage, etc, it has to be the
real <br>
thing. If the seller puts into their description: Gucci like, simulated
Rolex, they're partially off the hook. I once read that the Prada company
has <br>
gone after sellers of &quot;knock-off&quot; hand bags, in Copywrite
Infringement <br>
lawsuits.&nbsp; Ebay has been cooperative in that respect. Unfortunately,
Meteorite is not a brand name.<br>
Best,<br>
Steve Sachs</blockquote></html>