[meteorite-list] Fireball Spotted Over Norway?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:17 2004

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=442072

'UFO' spotted over Asker
Aftenpoften (Norway)
November 22, 2002

Helene Solberg glanced out her window on a dark wintry afternoon earlier
this week and saw something she won't soon forget. Luckily, her family's
video camera was close at hand.

Solberg, who lives in a village with the same name in Asker, west of Oslo,
first called her husband while marveling at the comet-like flying object
that soared through the late afternoon sky.

It was just after 2pm, when dusk already starts settling over southern
Norway at this tiime of year, when Solberg noticed the object with a long,
bright tail. She excitedly called her husband Stig Solberg, who reminded
her that their video camera was lying on a table in the living room.
Just the night before, the couple had tried to capture video of the
Leonid meteor shower.

Helene Solberg then grabbed the video camera and started shooting. The
entire episode lasted about eight minutes, with three minutes of it
captured on tape, before the unidentified flying object disappeared from
view.

"Can I explain what it was? Absolutely not," Stig Solheim told
Aftenposten's Internet edition Thursday night after sharing the video.

He said he determined that the comet-like object came out of the west and
disappeared to the south. He also sent the video to the astrophysics
department at the University of Oslo, where a professor thought the object
might have been a plane.

Solheim disagrees. "It absolutely did not look like a plane," he said.
"When we look out the window in the other direction, we sometimes see
planes. But we have never seen a plane in the direction where my wife was
filming."