[meteorite-list] Meteors "on" the Radio

From: Allen Emer <aemer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:16 2004

Saw 116 this morning here in NJ.
As I was watching the International Space Station make a 45 degree
elevation pass, one nice orange tailed meteor went about a thumbs width
next to it . Neat sight.

My self and a bunch of Ham buddies have been working meteor scatter on 2
meter vhf (144.200 mhz side band). Worked stations down to florida by
bouncing 50watts of signal off of the meteor's ionized tail. You can hear
clicks and pings as they burn up. Stations can sound watery or perfectly
clear. Only last a few seconds usually but enough to pass grid squares or
signal reports. Had one last yr lasted almost 30 seconds.

The ISS commander Valery Korzon was on voice on 145.800 mhz fm at 3:30 this
morning talking to hams and describing looking down at the meteors. He said
they were the best over Europe.

I was out for an hour &1/2 till dawn and the radiant was high over head and
I got to see a bunch of quick timed groups streaking to my left and right
near simultaneously....gives a real sensation of speed on the part of the
observer...great fun.

Would have been nice to have a souvenir drop into the field next me though.

Al Emer
N2YAC