[meteorite-list] Is the NWA El Dorado over with?

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:13 2004

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C28323.6D13BFA0

Dear List Members,

We have been asked many questions about our recent trip to Northwest =
Africa. The main question is how we did at acquiring new material and is =
it true that fewer meteorites are being found. I do not mind answering =
these questions.=20

I feel we did well at securing rare pieces but the Moroccans, disputed =
zone trade route villagers and nomads are now all aware of the prices =
being realized outside of their countries and are asking extremely high =
prices, in some cases higher than the retail amount. The word has seemed =
to spread to even the most remote places. The amount of material they =
are finding is about 25% by weight of what was coming out only two years =
ago.=20

The good news is they are getting better at spotting achondrites so =
educating them on what to look for magnetic or not is paying off. They =
are also doing a better job of remembering where they found the =
meteorites so they can go back and look for more (expect a lot more =
pairings). Instead of selling their meteorites to Moroccan dealers =
several villages having been saving up material for us for months and =
this is what made the trip worthwhile. Each village we had an agreement =
with was excited to see us and one very remote village had a celebration =
both because they had visitors and we brought money and gifts for them. =
This village is so remote that no tourist has ever been there before =
plus it is in a very dangerous area. It used to be in Algeria but nobody =
knows now because it is in the most disputed area of the desert. I will =
write more about this fantastic village in a secret oasis later. We feel =
good that the nomads who are finding these meteorites are being rewarded =
for their hard work more directly now. Luckily our translator can speak =
several Berber dialects included Algerian Berber or these relationships =
would not be available to us.

On our way out of the desert we stopped by several cities and checked =
out all of the major dealer's offerings and were surprised at the lack =
of new material. Most of this material my brother Greg recognized from =
our teams last expedition in April. I was glad to meet some of the =
people I have been corresponding with for years and the unexpected =
treasure of making new friends along the way. Is the Moroccan El Dorado =
over? It is a matter of prospective. If meteorites represent El Dorado =
than the answer is yes, it is 25% of the El Dorado it was just a couple =
of years ago. Was it worth going? Yes, through creative contacts and =
relationships we had a very successful expedition.=20

Wishing everybody the best,

Adam Hupe

The Hupe Collection

IMCA 2185

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C28323.6D13BFA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Dear List Members,</P>
<P>We have been asked many questions about our recent trip to Northwest =
Africa.=20
The main question is how we did at acquiring new material and is it true =
that=20
fewer meteorites are being found. I do not mind answering these =
questions. </P>
<P>I feel we did well at securing rare pieces but the Moroccans, =
disputed zone=20
trade route villagers and nomads are now all aware of the prices being =
realized=20
outside of their countries and are asking extremely high prices, in some =
cases=20
higher than the retail amount. The word has seemed to spread to even the =
most=20
remote places. The amount of material they are finding is about 25% by =
weight of=20
what was coming out only two years ago. </P>
<P>The good news is they are getting better at spotting achondrites so =
educating=20
them on what to look for magnetic or not is paying off. They are also =
doing a=20
better job of remembering where they found the meteorites so they can go =
back=20
and look for more (expect a lot more pairings). Instead of selling their =

meteorites to Moroccan dealers several villages having been saving up =
material=20
for us for months and this is what made the trip worthwhile. Each =
village we had=20
an agreement with was excited to see us and one very remote village had =
a=20
celebration both because they had visitors and we brought money and =
gifts for=20
them. This village is so remote that no tourist has ever been there =
before plus=20
it is in a very dangerous area. It used to be in Algeria but nobody =
knows now=20
because it is in the most disputed area of the desert. I will write more =
about=20
this fantastic village in a secret oasis later. We feel good that the =
nomads who=20
are finding these meteorites are being rewarded for their hard work more =

directly now. Luckily our translator can speak several Berber dialects =
included=20
Algerian Berber or these relationships would not be available to us.</P>
<P>On our way out of the desert we stopped by several cities and checked =
out all=20
of the major dealer's offerings and were surprised at the lack of new =
material.=20
Most of this material my brother Greg recognized from our teams last =
expedition=20
in April. I was glad to meet some of the people I have been =
corresponding with=20
for years and the unexpected treasure of making new friends along the =
way. Is=20
the Moroccan El Dorado over? It is a matter of prospective. If =
meteorites=20
represent El Dorado than the answer is yes, it is 25% of the El Dorado =
it was=20
just a couple of years ago. Was it worth going? Yes, through creative =
contacts=20
and relationships we had a very successful expedition. </P>
<P>Wishing everybody the best,</P>
<P>Adam Hupe</P>
<P>The Hupe Collection</P>
<P>IMCA 2185</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C28323.6D13BFA0--