[meteorite-list] Kaali meteorite - Estonia, 400BC?

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:54 2004

STUARTATK_at_aol.com wrote:

> Doing some research for a radio slot, and am intrigued by the "Kaali"
> meteorite which fell in Estonia around 400BC; in the brief net
> searches I've done so far I've found intriguing references to the Sun
> being blocked out by the impact, localised environmental devastation
> and even "human casualties"... Couple of websites say that there's a
> large crater in Estonia, and several (as many as 8?) smaller craters
> nearby, but am just wondering if anyone out there has any more
> specific info about this impact? Thanks in advance for all info /
> help, Stu

Hello Stu and List,

Here are two scientifically reliable references:

RASMUSSEN K.L. et al. (2000) The age of the Kaalijärv meteorite
craters (MAPS 35-5, 2000, pp. 1067-1071, excerpt):

400-370 B.C. at ± 1o / The nine Kaalijärv craters on the Estonian
island of Saaremaa (Ösel) were caused by the impact of a fragmented IAB
iron meteorite, of which several masses have been recovered totalling
about 2.5 kg. The largest piece recovered so far weighs 38.4 gr (Raukas
et al., 1999).

VESKI S. et al. (2001) Ecological catastrophe in connection with the
impact of the Kaali Meteorite about 800-400 BC on the island of
Saaremaa, Estonia (MAPS 36-10, 2001 pp. 1367-1375, excerpt):

About 800-400 B.C. a meteoroid hit a then relatively densely populated
island, forming the Kaali meteorite impact craters. Unfortunately the
people living at that time on the island of Saaremaa were illiterate and
we have no direct written record of the impact event. Indirect written
historical records interpreted as describing the Kaali meteorite blast
event come from Tacitus (1942) and Pytheas from Massalia.

Best regards,

Bernd