[meteorite-list] "The Visitor" --- An Entry For Meteorite Contest #3 (Bensour-Seuss)

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:52 2004

--0-593762356-1022429329=:69562

May 26, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

Well, I have finally finished my entry, late as usual!
As you will see it is contained in a text attachment.
If that is not preferred or is causing too many
problems to read, please let me know.

I have been wanting to post more messages to the
Meteorite-list on a variety of meteoritical topics,
but haven't exactly found the time to do so. (Farm
season has arrived, and fairly soon I will be picking
strawberries --- if there is no more unusually hard
frosts!)

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
--0-593762356-1022429329=:69562

The Visitor

One dark and dreary night,
I was in my study eyeing gads of meteorites to my delight
When all of a sudden I heard a thud --- or was it a knock?
Whatever it was, I must say it gave me quite a shock!

Through the front door's rusty keyhole did I peek
Only to see nothing but hear a creak.
I unlatched the door and stepped into the gloom;
No meteorite on my porch! Nothing! (as far as I could assume)

Suddenly, there appeared a plump little man in a derby hat.
He paraded, he yodeled --- and to think, all on my welcome mat!
"How do you do? I am McGoodygoo the meteorite goo-roo!" he sang as he said.
>From that moment on I knew there was something to dread.

In his hand he showed me a black little rock;
It was Bensour, the new fall that has been causing people to flock.
"My good man," he said. "Take it, as you can see it is some sight!
For if you don't, I doubt my conscious will let me sleep tonight!"

I retorted in a voice so full of blame,
"It is just an NWA with a name!"
I must admit, I really did not know what to do;
I ended up telling that funny little man to shoo.

But that didn't deter him, not to the smallest degree!
"This little rock is as fresh as can be !" said he.
I defended my Peekskill and Rose City as being just as good;
I thought by now he would leave, at least I thought he would.

But he continued, "Your mind is too much on locations and numbers.
Will you accept my Bensour with a pail of meteoritically grown cucumbers?"
"Thank you, but I am quite fed." I uneasily said.
"It is late and I am now off to bed!"

Oh, but he would hear nothing of that,
He would rather just sit and chat.
"How about on a bus headed for Tucson
Holding a stop sign icon?"

Finally, my mind began to twirl,
My patience started to whirl,
"Okay! Okay! I'll take the stuff!
Give me the rock Mr. McGoodygoo, please do! I have had quite enough!"

I took the piece of the asteroid into my hands
and stared at it, that pebble from unknown lands.
For a moment I thought its glassy crust gleamed,
As so it seemed...

Well, all I can say now after that fretful ordeal,
After experiencing such meteoritical zeal,
Is that if you are ever introduced to a Mr. McGoodyGoo,
Be sure to accept his piece of Bensour, please do!

--0-593762356-1022429329=:69562--