[meteorite-list] Sulfur in meteorites

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

Tom cited:

> Astronomers know how much sulfur should be in protoplanetary
> disks, the places where planets are forming around other stars.
> Meteorites -- relics from the earliest epochs of our own solar
> system -- provide the evidence.

Hello Tom and List,

Here are some selected sulfur values from the literature:

1. Carbonaceous chondrite f a l l s :

Mean CI: 5.41 % sulfur*
Mean CM: 3.25 % sulfur
Mean CO: 2.28 % sulfur
Mean CV3: 2.25 % sulfur
Renazzo (CR): 1.101 % sulfur
* a good match with the abundance in the solar photosphere

Hot Desert carbonaceous chondrite f i n d s have lost sulfur.

Note the steady decrease in sulfur content between CI and
CV3! Refractory elements in CR chondrites resemble those
of CI chondrites but there is a noticeable depletion of sulfur.

2. Ordinary chondrites:

Zaoyang, H5: 2.49 % sulfur
Wuan, H6: 2.21 % sulfur
Zaodong, L4: 2.00 % sulfur

3. R-chondrites:

Rumuruti dark matrix: 4.14 % sulfur
Rumuruti light-colored clast: 3.99 % sulfur

Reference:

DREIBUS G. et al. (1995) Sulfur and selenium in chondritic
meteorites (Meteoritics 30-4, 1995, 439-445).

Best regards,

Bernd