[meteorite-list] Re: Mercury Meteorite Puzzle

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:49 2004

Hi, Eric, List,

    The generally accepted explanation for the olivine crystals is that only at
the base of the mantle (at the mantle/core boundary) do you find the temperature,
pressure, and most important: the slow cooling times, that make the formation of
pure olivine crystals possible.
    As to their survival on the Earth's surface, pure olivine does not survive
long in the presence of water. Which brings us to another mystery: the detection
of wide distributions of olivine on Mars, which sets a limit for "wetness" far
lower than what we (would like to) think is the extent of Martian water.
Mysteries everywhere. It's what makes being alive in the universe fun...

Sterling