AW: [meteorite-list] Re: Mercury Meteorite Puzzle

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:49 2004

Hello Rob, hello Mercury enthusiasts,

It's not okay! I think the statement that "NWA 011 has an
oxygen isotope ratio that indicates it came from a body
larger than a big asteroid" is quite nonsensical. What's the
connection between oxygen isotope ratios and the size of
a planet or an asteroid? If that would be true the aubrites
would qualify as planetary meteorites, too, since they
share the Earth's O-isotopic ratio...

Okay, I'm no planetary scientist, but what I've learned
from my private studies on planetary meteorites is that the
person who wrote this article mixed up some things. The facts
suggesting NWA 011's origin from a larger body are most
probably the unusually high FeO/MnO ratios similar to lunar
values, although they are slightly lower for pyroxenes in
NWA 011.

However, do the other data on NWA 011 suggest a planetary
or Mercurian origin of this peculiar achondrite? I don't
think so. Look at the data, NWA 011 has been described as
"virtually unshocked", a fact making it hard to believe that
this rock has been blasted off a planet. None of its
plagioclase has been converted to maskelynite - the rims of
the plagioclase crystals in NWA 011 aren't even slightly
distorted. From what we know about lunar and Martian
meteorites it seems quite improbable that this strange
rock is of planetary origin at all. Don't get me wrong,
I would be glad if we finally had the first Mercurian rock,
and I would be willing to pay dearly for even a small piece.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. As stated above, I'm no
planetary scientist, but from what I know I must conclude
that the "Mercurian origin" of NWA 011 is nothing but a
wild guess. Has anyone seen data on the REE distribution
in NWA 011 so far? Why don't they show as a nice "S"??
Now, that would be something...

Best regards,
Norbert Classen

--------Rob Verish wrote-------