AW: [meteorite-list] Any Ideas on what this is?

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:49 2004

Hello Jim, hello Thomas,

The specimen might as well be a serpentinite or rather a highly
serpentinized peridotite, especially since it is slightly magnetic.
Serpentinites usually contain minor amounts of iron oxides. However,
it's very hard to judge from a picture. If the specimen exhibits
a "schiller", Thomas is probably right - if not, it's most probably
a serpentinite. Anyway, it's a most beautiful rock!

Jim, will I get a slice for free if it turns out to be a highly
metamorphosed Martian peridotite/lherzolite ;-? Only half joking...

Best,
Norbert Classen