[meteorite-list] RE: NWA 998

From: Treiman, Allan <Treiman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:48 2004

Hi, All --=20

    Ankerite is the mineral name for the iron-bearing
equivalent of dolomite. Dolomite is CaMg(CO3)2, and=20
ankerite is CaFe(CO3)2. Ankerite is incidental to the=20
life-in-ALH84001 fuss -- it has now centered on the=20
itty bitty magnetites in the carbonate globules. Other
parts of the globules contain ankerite carbonate, but
the ankerite was never a big deal in McKay's hypotheses.

   The ankerite is most likely Martian in origin, because
it requires low-oxygen conditions (reducing) to form, unlike
Earth's atmosphere. So, like the carbonate minerals in=20
ALH84001 and in Nakhla, it suggests that liquid water containing
carbonate circulated underground on Mars. But I'm guessing=20
here, as I haven't seen NWA 998.=20

   Allan=20
=20

Allan H. Treiman