[meteorite-list] Mystery Solved!

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:46 2004

marsroxx_at_theofficenet.com wrote

> Steve,
> I do not think you mean to say that a tektite fell
from the Moon to the Earth,
> Do you?
>
> Alan

Alan,

I did not write that, nor did I imply that a tektite or
any tektite for that matter fell from the moon. The
fact that stretch tektites exist pretty much eliminates
the moon as the source as such form could not survive
hypersonic entry into the atmosphere and retain the
stretch form.

Steve Schoner.

> Quoting meteorites_at_space.com:
>
> > On Fri, 03 May 2002, Chauncey Walden wrote
> >

> > > In a story on meteorites in this month's issue of
> > Rock and Gem, Bob
> > > Jones says that tektites are from the moon. No
> > discussion, just the
> > > statement. There it is in black and white so it
must
> > be right. At least
> > > he didn't let out the secret that they are
petrified
> > green cheese.
> > > Chauncey Walden
> > >

> > As I once argued... if even one stretch tektite
exists,
> > then there is absolutely no way these objects could
> > have come from the moon.
> >
> > There is no mechanism by which such could possibly
> > survive in that form after having entered the
earth's
> > atmosphere at the requisite velocity of 7+ miles
> > per/sec after having fallen the distance from the
moon
> > to earth.
> >
> > The cinch is that there are not just one such
stretch