[meteorite-list] I think African meteorites are cool because...

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:46 2004

May 5, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

Despite my persistent searching for meteorites here in
Michigan, I decided to finally try a different
approach and enter the contest! A few members on this
list may remember me mentioning my plan on buying (or
at least seriously think of buying) meteorites after I
finally find one or get tired of searching for one
(which I haven't yet). Allow me just to say that
there are some differences in this case as I am not
buying any space rocks and have entered the contest
partly on behalf of a friend.

So without further ado my entry is as follows...

I think African meteorites are cool because, well,
because of this...

They have an allure, an allure that cannot be
described accurately by words alone, one which has
attracted the minds and hearts of many adventurers,
for meteorite hunters are indeed true adventurers in
every way. These heavenly bodies not only harken back
the days of old, the days of El Dorado, the 49'ers,
Victoria, Klondike, and others, but literally awaken
the whole excitement of those illustrious rushes.
What's more, the trek to the windswept lands spoken by
many ardent meteorite hunters as being paved with
celestial riches, is too, an arduous journey, just
like the other rushes.

As for some of the African space rocks that many
deject due to their unclassified nature, I must say
that such a thing adds to their allure, at least when
I read about them. By being chemically unknown, just
ponder the mysteriousness of such meteorites and even
the great mysteries that meteorite collectors
themselves could reveal with only a saw and a curious
mind!

Here is also how I picture African meteorites as being
"cool":

...It was dusk and getting late. Our meteorite hunter
from under his wide-brimmed hat momentarily shielded
his forehead as he surveyed the unfriendly, desert
terrain. He knew fully well he should be getting
back to his jeep and call it a day. But his long
hours scouring the desert had yielded him not a single
meteoritic stone and his eyes kept him glued to the
hunt, always darting here and there, ever hopeful that
a forgotten treasure may lurk up out of the scattered
limestone.

Suddenly, a thunderous noise broke the eerie silence,
followed by a sharp squeal. Our adventurer threw his
head towards the north in the direction of the mighty
dunes which rose up like great walls of sand. He
waited. Nothing. After a short while, he attempted
to climb the dunes which blocked his view of the north
for many miles. Finally, a bright twinkle from Venus
tapped him on the shoulders. It was time to go. He
sighed to himself as he paused crawling up the sand.
Within minutes he found himself climbing into his
desert transportation, still quite hot to the touch.

The shadows grew longer as he rode off across the
arid land. Within a short space of time, he arrived
back at his makeshift camp, greeted by his fellow
meteorite hunters that joined him on the meteoritic
expedition. Their expressions all looked somehow
strange, as if they were trying to conceal some sort
of excitement. At last one of the friends causally
spoke up, "Hi Rudy. Find anything?" Our unsuccessful
adventurer shook his head.

His friend smiled "Well then, did you see the bolide?"
Rudy's eyes suddenly blew up like balloons.

"No Frank! A Fireball? I-I thought I heard
something, but didn't think it was... Are you sure?"

"As sure as dripping tektites! Why, everybody here
saw it! It was unbelievable! It was blue with a
touch of red, and blew into hundreds of pieces just to
the north of here. We heard screaming and
everything." Quickly an expression of disbelief
swept over Frank. " Where were you Rudy? Practicing
your survival skills by eating the grass again? We
haven't finished all of the hot fudge yet you know!"

Our adventurer was completely dumbfounded and
restless, and stayed that way all night until next
morning where I feel it wise to end this adventure for
now...

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA