[meteorite-list] Don't count us out

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:45 2004

At one time, I lived on the ridge overlooking Palolo Valley. There's a
really neat extinct volcanic crater in the back of the valley, and with
binocs, sometimes you can make out wild pigs (that's pronounced
"peeeegs"). If you count vertical distance, that maybe 1 1/2 miles. The
Honolulu fall smacked into Honolulu's downtown and harbor area, about 5
miles from Wilhelmina Rise (the ridge.) Now, however, I live 110 miles
from the nearest fall site, with ocean in between; too bad.

There's also an unconfirmed fall from 1966, when a meteorite supposedly
clipped a metal ladder on the outside of one of the obervatories on top of
Haleakala, but was immediately lost in the surrounding cinders. Wonder
how dey figger it was a meteorite, when they nevah spot da buggah!

Tracy Latimer