[meteorite-list] giving my Nantan a thrashing....

From: Steven Drummond <jesserd44_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:34 2004

Hi Dave, I had a small Nantan, that I thought was complete shale , it was
about 3 inches by 4 inches and maybe 1 inch thick, I whacked it with a
hammer to knock off the shale and then over a 2 week period put it in a
special salt solution to remove the rest of the rust and amazingly enough
there was over half good metal left. it is layered metal , each day I would
have to use A STEEL wire brush on it to knock of the rust, eventually it
produced a clean free of rust piece . Then I heated this in the oven for 4
hours at 175 degrees , this turned it a little green ,then brushed the green
off with the wire brush ( Only use steel as a brass brush will transfer the
brass to the meteorite). then I used a light oil to help stabilize the piece
(WD-40). My ugly Nantan is now a nice metal color with no rust !
             Regards, Steven Drummond "The Unknown Collector"