[meteorite-list] Re: Sand Dunes and Meteorites

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:33 2004

Hello Jim and Tom,

Actually, you're both right.
But you both missed the key point that has had so many
of us interested in this idea over the past few years.

The key point is that meteorites (on average) are more
DENSE than terrestrial rocks. Without having to go
into a discussion about "heat capacity", it is easy
to understand that in a field of equally dark rocks,
it is the denser rocks that will remain warmer longer
(and will stand-out in thermal imagery).

It's not a matter of "if" this will work, but more a
matter of "when" will it become cheap enough to make
this practical. The technology and the actual
hardware to do this already exists. It's all a matter
of expense; too costly for what you get in return.

Maybe somebody could get a researcher interested in
getting funding to make this technique a reality. So
far I've been unsuccessful in garnering interest or
funding.

Bob V.

[meteorite-list] Sand Dunes and Meteorites

webbth_at_appstate.edu webbth@appstate.edu
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:18:23 -0400 (EDT)

Jim,
Normally objects which heat up faster also cool
faster, so the dark, metal-containing meteorites would
probably cool off faster than the surrounding sand or
earth. They might still show up as a negative thermal
image however.
Thomas

Thomas H. Webb

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Meteorite1 wrote:

> MessageHello all,

> I know that I am not the rocket scientist here &
this may be an oversimplified theory but I have a
picture of my house & my fathers house taken from a
satellite in orbit. Now I may be wrong but I kinda
think that if someone is going to go to the trouble of
putting millions of dollars of equipment into orbit
that they would include thermal imaging as part of
that inventory. Here is my thought, in the evening, at
dusk when the desert floor is no longer being heated
by the sun wouldn't
> the sand, plants & surrounding landscape cool off
faster than the darker colored rocks (meteorites) with
iron content? And if the meteorites did cool slower or
have a higher temp because of their darker color
couldn't we print out a GPS based list of these
thermal hot spots?

> This is just an idea considering that the technology
I think is there is probably classified & we could
never gain access to it anyway.