[meteorite-list] Sand Dunes and Meteorites

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:33 2004

Hi Jim,

Taking off on your idea, those of us with meteorites (ideally cheaper NWA's and less
expensive irons) could conduct an experiment to measure how long these retain their
temperature in order to do the search. Of course the larger the specimen the longer it
should retain it's heat but most meteorites should be in a small size range per fall
statistics. Placing some specimens (IN VERY WELL MARKED AREAS) in the sand and seeing
how long they hold there heat (after sundown) would tell how much of a window to look
for these we might have. Also give an idea of the surrounding area and how long it
takes to cool down compared to the planted meteorites.

Another note, infared film could be useful from a high vantage point just after things
cool down on the surface in order to try to find hot spots of possible falls. I am
sure much junk would be found. Just my ideas.

--AL