[meteorite-list] Sand Dunes and Meteorites

From: KHe1144783_at_aol.com <KHe1144783_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:33 2004

--part1_37.252362b0.29d5debe_boundary

In a message dated 3/29/2002 5:08:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
TJKilcrease_at_msn.com writes:

> However, an ultralight with a long
> wingspan on the other hand might work if the airspeed were
> slow enough to allow detailed ground observation.

I own a Microlight aircraft capable of cruising at 50 MPH safely and can
cruise up to 110 MPH. Flying low and slow is dangerous without full time
attention to flying duties but my plane has a back seat with visability to
everywhere but straight down. Ive considered overflying the Algodones Sand
Dunes 70 miles south of me but never got the chance before I parked the
aircraft for the winter. Right now Im considering selling it but might
consider overflying the dunes before I do. You can see extremely well and a
black rock will stand out like a sore thumb. Using GPS will mark the location
for later inspection by a ground crew to know if its not just a beer can or
other trash left by dune buggy drivers. The only reason I didnt fly it yet is
because of the brief time the meteorite would be exposed before sand covered
it again. If its Iron, it will sink quickly and not want to "float" for long.
Just my thoughts. Kris Henkel, Palm Springs Ca.

--part1_37.252362b0.29d5debe_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/29/2002 5:08:19 AM Pacific Standard Time, TJKilcrease_at_msn.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">However, an ultralight with a long <BR>
wingspan on the other hand might work if the airspeed were <BR>
slow enough to allow detailed ground observation.&nbsp; <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I own a Microlight aircraft capable of cruising at 50 MPH safely and can cruise up to 110 MPH. Flying low and slow is dangerous without full time attention to flying duties but my plane has a back seat with visability to everywhere but straight down. Ive considered overflying the Algodones Sand Dunes 70 miles south of me but never got the chance before I parked the aircraft for the winter. Right now Im considering selling it but might consider overflying the dunes before I do. You can see extremely well and a black rock will stand out like a sore thumb. Using GPS will mark the location for later inspection by a ground crew to know if its not just a beer can or other trash left by dune buggy drivers. The only reason I didnt fly it yet is because of the brief time the meteorite would be exposed before sand covered it again. If its Iron, it will sink quickly and not want to "float" for long. Just my thoughts. Kris Henkel, Palm Springs Ca. </FONT></HTML>

--part1_37.252362b0.29d5debe_boundary--