[meteorite-list] Eucrite inclusions in Bilanga

From: Bernd Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:32 2004

Mike Tettenborn wrote:

> Bilanga: ... wonder about the dark grey-green inclusions in the milky
> light beige matrix. Is it possible for these inclusions to be eucritic?

Hello Mike and List,

I don't think you are looking at a eucritic inclusion. If they are
greyish green, I'd think they are hypersthene crystals (Mg,Fe)SiO3.

> Does anyone else have sample with eucrite inclusions?

Theoretically speaking, it is quite possible that a eucritic clast could
be found in a diogenite because of the HED link, but I have only one
allusion handy:

SEARS D.W. (1978) The Nature and Origin of Meteorites, p. 73:

3.3.3. Ca-Poor Achondrites

The diogenites are almost pure pyroxene (22-25% Fe end member) with
very minor amounts of other minerals present in ordinary chondrites:
olivine, troilite, metal, and chromite. They are also almost all brec-
ciated (Mason 1962) and recently one was discovered which contained
a eucrite fragment.

Unfortunately, Sears doesn't tell us
which diogenite he is refering to :-(

The book was published in 1978, so "recently" might mean 10-20 years
prior to publication of the book. The only non-Antarctic diogenite that
would fit into this time frame would be Aioun el Atrouss.

Anyone know anything about a eucritic inclusion
in Aioun el Atrouss or any other diogenite?

Best regards,

Bernd

P.S.: Congrats on your son's successful science fair contribution.
Children are a product of their social surroundings, so his parents
also deserve kudos!