[meteorite-list] Ikeya-Zhang

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:32 2004

Hello list,

    Just a heads-up on the comet Ikeya-Zhang. I
haven't seen anything posted to the list about it, but
I saw it for the first time last night and was
pleasantly surprised at how relatively bright it is.
There was about a 3/4 moon interfering, but it was
fairly visible to the naked eye, and really quite
impressive through binoculars. Forgive my informal
descriptions here, but I would say the tail was about
"3 inches" long, and about "3/4 in" wide. I wasn't
expecting it to be anywhere near that large. It's no
Hale-Bopp by any means, but it surely beats the heck
out of Halley's last performance! (But then again, so
would have a firefly from 100 yards away :-)

     Be sure and check it out if you haven't yet had a
chance to do so. It might even grow brighter over the
next few days or weeks????

    Robert Woolard