Fw: [meteorite-list] meteorite conservation in coastal areas

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:32 2004

Hi Steve and all,

Your description is exactly how I constructed my meteorite display case
except I used 1/4" glass plate for the top. It seems to work fine and fits
nicely into the grooved top of the aquarium. Vinal or rubber weather
stripping was used in the small gap along the top. One advantage that I
found was that the aquarium I purchased came with two 1/4" thick glass
panels about 4" wide that were attached with a long plastic hinge. Removal
of the hinge provided two glass shelves that just fit on the inside of the
aquarium. I set the shelves on 8" high clear plastic boxes, one of which was
drilled with holes on 3 sides and holds the dessicant. A meteorite photo in
the front of the plastic case hides the dessicant packets from view.
One problem I found was that the aquarium I purchased was not square as I
had assumed. Both ends were the same width (where I measured) but the middle
bowed out nearly 1/4"...so the weather stripping acquired an extra
importance! To be doubly sure on airtightness, I also covered the gap with
electrical tape.
I use the paper humidity indicators to watch for humidity leakage.
Everything has worked fine for the last 6 months.

All in all I think the display case came out very nice. If anyone uses this
idea for their meteorite display, they just need to remember not to let
anyone fill it with water and fish ;-)

Sincerely,
Frank