[meteorite-list] Bensour photos

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

     I stopped by Mike Farmer's about an hour before he headed for the
beaches of
 the south pacific and got to see the bensour pieces. There is some very
nice stuff.
There are a lot of small individuals and some bigger pieces. In addition to
the big 9
kg piece there are a couple that are around 1 kg. Weights are my estimates
I didn't
weight them, they could be more. One is beautiful with only a few chips.
The other
was broken into 3 pieces, but the pieces fit together really well and in
addition to
seeing a nice individual you can take it apart and see the insides.
     It was interesting that even in the small pieces with a chips less than
10mm
 across you can see the breccia.
     One piece that Mike is keeping has one side covered in a iridescent
bronze
 colored film. I would guess that one of the troilite inclusions in the
piece vaporized
 and frosted the leading side. It is a very, very nice piece.
     There were some fragments but most of them seemed to have some crust and
 were as fresh as fresh can be. There are a few oriented pieces, but flow
lines are
 almost non-existent on any of the pieces.
     Over all it is a beautiful meteorite.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com