[meteorite-list] Hematite

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

Rob (and anyone else),

I must confess that I do not yet have a piece of hematite to use for
comparison purposes. It would be good to have a chunk or two handy for
those days when hopeful meteorite prospectors visit my observatory. Could
I impose on you to send me a sample, pretty please?

>John read my mind but I am leaning more toward hematite. A guy sent me
>kilos of this stuff a while back and some have very convincing shapes.
>As John indicated, the "slightly magnetic" property is the real
>meteorwrong givaway. If it looks like a fresh iron meteorite and it's
>only "slightly magnetic"...put it on the other shelf. Still worth
>keeping in my opinion and what a great addition to your page.
>--
>Rob Wesel

Bob Martino Can you really name a star?
                                   http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/