[meteorite-list] Re: Your opinion, please...

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

DITTO

And it looks like "gem-quality" hematite, too. If you
grind it on some sand-paper, you should get a very
shiny surface, as well as copious amounts of blood-red
powder. I've got a couple of these beauties in my
meteor-wrong collection. Yours is a "keeper". :-)
Bob V.

-------------------------------------
[meteorite-list] Meteorwrong opinion
Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:39:45 -0800

Only "slightly magnetic", and density is far too low
to be iron. Therefore definitely hematite.
It will streak blood red.

--Rob

[meteorite-list] Your opinion, please...
magellon_at_earthlink.net magellon@earthlink.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:02:14 -0500

An eBayer saw my meteorwrong page and asked my opinion
of the following.
I discreetly bow to those more experienced: ( the last
two picts are small, sorry)
 Top
 Bottom
 Side

Here is her story,
"I picked this up in country New South Wales in a
National Park Wilderness area. It is unlike any
surrounding rocks or any that I have seen in that
district. I have done quite a bit of fossicking for
sapphires & rubies and seen nothing like this. The
area is mostly volcanic basalt overlying granidiorite
and some granitic areas. This may be terrestrial iron,
but if so, it perhaps may have become airborne from
the volcano?, as it is oriented and has a rollover
lip. It is heavier than other rocks of similar size,
but not considerably so, (125 gms), and it is slightly
magnetic, but not considerably so. Size is 2.5" x 1.5"
x 1". Incidentally, there is no industry within
several hundred kilometres, and no railway line, so it
would not be smelter ore or slag."

I will pass on to her you expert observations.
Thanks,
Ken Newton