[meteorite-list] Rose City H5 Chondrite Auction Questioning/Picture

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

--part1_13e.b26441f.29c7cf2c_boundary

In a message dated 3/18/2002 12:14:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Sharkkb8_at_aol.com writes:

> ....an interview with Dr. Alan Rubin for Meteorite Magazine a few years
> back, and while I was in his office he kindly shared a number of prize
> specimens with me, among them a sizeable piece of Rose City.

In glancing back at that article again, I was reminded that Dr. Rubin
specifically mentioned Rose City within the interview itself. I had asked
about the scientific community's resentment of the dealing/collecting
community, and his response included the following:

"Some meteorites which are coarse-grained breccias, like Portales Valley,
like Rose City, like Blithfield, which is an EL6 enstatite chondrite, will
have clasts that are several centimeters in size, and if you cut it up
smaller than that, you lose this petrographic information".

Without wishing to bring up the original scientist-collector-dealer debate
again, this comment suggests that this particular ebay specimen is surely NOT
just a large, light-colored Rose City clast, as was earlier suggested. The
specimen is well over two inches wide, clearly too big to be a clast.

I believe the seller concerned has had many specimens on ebay before, and
he/she never seemed to be one of those novice or larcenous sellers we all
moan and groan about. I wonder if this one isn't just an honest mistake,
somewhere along the line. I know I recently attached the wrong picture to an
ebay auction and it can be virtually impossible to correct!

Gregory

--part1_13e.b26441f.29c7cf2c_boundary