[meteorite-list] New Lunaite???

From: Treiman, Allan <Treiman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

> I have received an email with the link www.bccmeteorites.com.

> it promotes BCC9601, a new differentiated lunar highlands refractory
rich
> crustal sample and originally weighing 2,485 grams.

In thin section, it looks like a terrestrial rock, like a granodiorite
or metamorphosed granodiorite. In the upper thin sections, the green and
reddish minerals look like amphibole (hornblende or actinolite) and mica
(biotite). The lower thin section looks like an intergrowth of feldspar
and quartz, called myrmekite, which is quite common in granitic-type rocks.

   Page two of the site is really bizarre. After the usual accusations that
the "academic community" suppresses meteorites, the writer claims that his
case is worse because of race discrimination.
  "The answer is very simple. In addition to general neglect from the
business
community and common place in any minority district, the academic community
routinely engages in the same forms of discriminatory behavior and conduct.
With
these discoveries would come the obligation to recognize a minority
community and
district where the samples were found as having an equal or higher degree of

importance, and elevating it to a status as a major regional contributor to
science."

    Then he goes into religion, and a pointed threat that he will take legal
action
against anyone who claims his rock is not a lunar meteorite.
   "We welcome all comments and suggestions, however it does not escape our
notice
that some entrenched scientist(s) will undoubtedly challenge us. Any claims
or
challenges as to the authenticity of our samples should be accompanied by
written
factual evidence to support that claim and signed by the person(s) making
the claim.
As an example, a blanket statement such as BCC9601 is not, or could not be a
lunar
meteorite because it does not look like the Apollo samples is not
acceptable, because
this statement is not based on science and in fact the existing record
contradicts such
a statement. The extensive publicly funded record indicates that the Apollo
Missions
sampled only a fraction of Lunar material. BCC9601 represents material
currently not
in JSC's inventory and not previously sampled."

  Allan

Allan H. Treiman
Lunar and Planetary Institute
3600 Bay Area Boulevard