[meteorite-list] Gibeon: deformed etch pattern

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

--part1_132.ac7dcae.29c65fdd_boundary

In a message dated 3/17/2002 6:16:05 AM Mountain Standard Time,
bernd.pauli_at_lehrer1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de writes:

> vincent jacques wrote:
>
> > You can see a nice Gibeon shocked slice from my collection at
>
> > http://users.skynet.be/meteorite.be/Collection/gibeondeformee.jpg
> > http://users.skynet.be/meteorite.be/Collection/gibeondeformee2.jpg
>
> > I don't know crater for Gibeon, what's the cause of this shock effet?
>

> Bonjour Jacques, Hello List,
>
> As for deformed Gibeons, most people still believe that these plastic
> deformations are due to impact with the Earth. Buchwald argues
> against this and says: "This cannot, however, be true since the
> distortions often occur in numerous places along the periphery and
> almost always, moreover, display necking and other effects of tensile
> and shear deformation, rather than compression from impact with the
> ground." Instead, he says, these deformations are due to violent atmo-
> spheric breakup (disruption).
>

> Best Sunday wishes
> from sunny Germany,
>
> Bernd

Vincent's Gibeon is amazing!
I picked up another odd one in Tucson. It looks as if it was made of 3
different pieces: 2 have nice Widmanstatten patterns, but oriented
differently, and then there is wedge-shape piece with no pattern at all.
It is now on my site:
       www.impactika.com/meteorites/gibeonslice.html

How do you explain that one?

Anne Black