[meteorite-list] Gibeon: deformed etch pattern

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:29 2004

vincent jacques wrote:

> You can see a nice Gibeon shocked slice from my collection at

> http://users.skynet.be/meteorite.be/Collection/gibeondeformee.jpg
> http://users.skynet.be/meteorite.be/Collection/gibeondeformee2.jpg

> I don't know crater for Gibeon, what's the cause of this shock effet?

Bonjour Jacques, Hello List,

As for deformed Gibeons, most people still believe that these plastic
deformations are due to impact with the Earth. Buchwald argues
against this and says: "This cannot, however, be true since the
distortions often occur in numerous places along the periphery and
almost always, moreover, display necking and other effects of tensile
and shear deformation, rather than compression from impact with the
ground." Instead, he says, these deformations are due to violent atmo-
spheric breakup (disruption).

Best Sunday wishes
from sunny Germany,

Bernd