[meteorite-list] Rose City Michigan question

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:29 2004

Martin Horejsi wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has a slice of the Rose City chondrite
> they could compare with the slice offered in this ebay auction:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1081837462

> All of the photos I have seen of Rose City show an almost black
> colored matrix. This is not exactly a dark matrix. Do you think
> this is Rose City?

No, this is not Rose City!

Hello Martin and Listees,

- It is not an H chondrite impact-melt breccia
- There is no impact-melted silicate and metal-troilite.
- I can't recognize any vesicles and no cavities
- Where are those opaque shock veins, those silicate melt veins?
- Where are those melt pockets and melt dikes?
- No chondritic clasts, no fractured chondrules and chondrule fragments
- No extensive silicate darkening
- No troilite-rich shock veins visible
- No irregular metallic Fe-Ni grains with ragged outlines visible
- Can't see any silicate melt pockets in the nonexistant clasts.

... or should that represent ONE, HUGE, light-colored clast???

Reference:

RUBIN A.E. (1995) Fractionation of refractory siderophile elements in
metal from the Rose City meteorite (Meteoritics 30-4, 1995, 412-417).

Best regards,

Bernd