[meteorite-list] Question Regarding SAU 008

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:28 2004

Bob Martino wrote:

> I have a nice piece of Sayh Al Uhaymir 008 coming soon.

> How long did it spend in space?

> What is its terrestrial age?

As Sayh al Uhaymir 005/Sayh al Uhaymir 008 are
paired, I think we can refer to this abstract in MAPS:

PÄTSCH M. et al. (2000) Exposure age of the new SNC meteorite
Sayh Al Uhaymir 005 (MAPS 35-5, 2000, Suppl., A124):

The noble gas data and the 26Al activity are consistent with an
exposure age of 1.5 ± 0.3 m.y. Although the terrestrial age of
this meteorite is not yet known, a short terrestrial age is
assumed from its fresh appearance. Thus the ejection age
should be similar to the exposure age.

Regards,

Bernd