[meteorite-list] a little collector advice........

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:27 2004

--B_3098781734_531316

> Michael Cottingham kindly wrote:
>=20
> =B3When Zag first came out it was $3-$5.00 per gram
> and then it shot up to $11.00, and now you can buy Zag
> for $1.00 to $5.00 per gram......=B2

Hello Michael and All,

When I was doing research on my article about Zag for Meteorite Magazine
several years ago, I found the first offering of it was at $18 per gram (if
I remember correctly). The skyward shot in price was more a reaction to the
science and its similarity to the unobtainable Monahans, TX chondrite.

There are always risks when purchasing meteorites, Sahara or not. Even some
of the more notable US meteorite finds have yielded many more kilograms
years after the initial discovery.

On the third side of this coin is the possibility that not all of the fall
is of the quality that Rob and Dean were able to photograph. Examples of
this phenomena include Kora Korrabes, Portales Valley, and even Zag. There
were vastly different regions within the meteorite making numbers like TKW
and price per gram less important. One piece might be a dud, while another
is stunning.

My suggestion is to buy out of the pure excitement of collecting. You win
some, you loose some. But in the end, it should all be fun. Right?

Cheers,

Martin

--B_3098781734_531316

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [meteorite-list] a little collector advice........</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Michael Cottingham kindly wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&#8220;</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">When Zag first came out it =
was $3-$5.00 per gram<BR>
and then it shot up to $11.00, and now you can buy Zag<BR>
for $1.00 to $5.00 per gram......&#8221;<BR>
</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
Hello Michael and All,<BR>
<BR>
When I was doing research on my article about Zag for Meteorite Magazine se=
veral years ago, I found the first offering of it was at $18 per gram (if I =
remember correctly). The skyward shot in price was more a reaction to the sc=
ience and its similarity to the unobtainable Monahans, TX chondrite.<BR>
<BR>
There are always risks when purchasing meteorites, Sahara or not. Even some=
 of the more notable US meteorite finds have yielded many more kilograms yea=
rs after the initial discovery. <BR>
<BR>
On the third side of this coin is the possibility that not all of the fall =
is of the quality that Rob and Dean were able to photograph. Examples of thi=
s phenomena include Kora Korrabes, Portales Valley, and even Zag. There were=
 vastly different regions within the meteorite making numbers like TKW and p=
rice per gram less important. One piece might be a dud, while another is stu=
nning.<BR>
<BR>
My suggestion is to buy out of the pure excitement of collecting. You win s=
ome, you loose some. But in the end, it should all be fun. Right?<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Martin<BR>