[meteorite-list] New Moroccan Fall

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:27 2004

Hi folks,

I received several individuals and fragments of the new Moroccan fall this
afternoon, and couldn't resist quickly grinding a face onto one of the pieces
and having a peek inside.
This one fell at 16:17 GMT on 11th February.....just about the same time that
many of us were gathering for the start of Daryll Pitt's meteorite auction in
Tucson. Kinda weird timing, don't you think??
It's a very fragile, almost crumbly meteorite that doesn't take a polish at
all, so you might have to concentrate hard when looking at the picture I've
posted here http://fernlea.tripod.com/newfall.html
My largest individual is just over 200g and there are many dinky little,
perfectly fusion crusted individuals that resememble the Holbrook & Pultusk
"peas".
The matrix had a much higher contrast when it was still wet with alcohol
coolant, but it looks very much blander when dry and it can be difficult to
see the small brecciation. I think LL6 is a pretty safe bet on this one, but
we'll see.

Cheers,
Rob.
http://fernlea.tripod.com/forsale.html