[meteorite-list] Winona / Canyon Diablo connection

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:26 2004

Hi everyone and especially Steve Schoner,
Not too long ago there was discussion about a possible connection between
the Winona meteorite and the many Canyon Diablos and something just didn't
seem right about that but I just couldn't put my finger on it until
recently. While from what I've read there certainly could be a connection
between the Winonaites and type IA irons I really doubt that Winona and
Canyon Diablo fell at the same time. The reasoning behind this is I thought
that Winona was a witnessed fall by Anasazi indians. I've read the stories
about how the Winona meteorite was found in an indian burial ground wrapped
like a small child would be. The understanding behind this was that the
indians saw it fall and buried the stone the same way a child would be
buried because they thought that it was a dead star which would imply that
they saw it fall. Really, how would they be able to recognize it as a
meteorite had they not seen it fall? I also remember reading somewhere that
this fall probably occurred somewhere around 1100 (please correct me if I'm
wrong) which would make this meteorite less than a thousand years old. Does
anyone have any data on a possible terrestrial age of this meteorite? I'm
guessing that its probally considerably less than the age of Canyon Diablo.
Comments anyone?
Very respectfully,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com