[meteorite-list] Taza status

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:26 2004

Hi Rob,

> does anyone have any more info on the Taza iron from NWA?
> I know that "Taza" was just a working name once upon a time
> and that it has been classified as a plessitic octahedrite,
> but has it been officially named/numbered or even submitted
> yet?

Don't know about the NWA # -- Scott Brey would be the best one
to ask. The last I heard, "Taza" was not an official designation,
but only a working name (as you indicated), but some effort was
being made to get the name approved.

The iron has definitely been completely analyzed, and I'm fairly
certain that either Scott submitted it to the NomComm, or UCLA
did on his behalf. I personally donated and delivered a
26.7-gram specimen to Dr. Wasson at UCLA, Peter Utas donated a
30-gram "Taza", and Scott Brey generously donated more than
100 grams, so there's plenty of type specimen on the books.
I'm cc-ing Scott and perhaps he can provide more information.

Best,
Rob