[meteorite-list] COOL METEORITE PHOTOS

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:26 2004

I'm going totally out on a limb here and could quite easily be wrong.
Anyone at all please feel more than free to point out any errors I may make.
>From what I could see in the pictures the crust doesn't really look very
glossy which would be indicative of either a howardite or Eucrite. If I'm
wrong here please correct me Dean. If it were glossy it would because of
the high calcium content so common with those types. For those same reasons
I would knock the possibility of Shergottite out as well as they are also
calcium rich achondrites. Looking through my collection I don't see any
other meteorites that seem to have the grayish color that these have. So
now that I've done my little reasoning to determine what they're not, I'll
move on to what they could be.
I have heard of troilite (a sulfur oxide which is about the same color as
the ones you pointed out) inclusions in ordinary chondrites (though I don't
remember for the life of me which ones or even what types). The nice black
crust also resembles some that I've seen on very fresh ordinary chondrites.
Dean, are there any metal flecks dispersed throughout the matrix of the
rock? I couldn't really tell from the pictures.
My best guess from what I've seen? An extremely fresh ordinary chondrite
with troilite inclusions in them. A very cool piece undoubtedly but
probably not a lunar or Eucrite. Like I said though, I could very easily be
wrong here especially considering the quality of the photos.
Best wishes,
Rhett Bourland, who's happy to take guesses at what kind of a meteorite it
is instead of having to tell someone that their rock is really a piece of
burned wood.
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal
www.meteoritecollectors.org