[meteorite-list] Percival Lowell Strange Martian Surface Feature

From: KevTK_at_aol.com <KevTK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:26 2004

--part1_9e.2311d73c.29ba4336_boundary

arizonakeith_at_cox.net writes:

> Lowell observatory is still open today and provides extensive education and
> outreach activities to educate visitors and school children about the
> exciting world of astronomy.
> And is worth the visit if your ever in Flagstaff area.

Lowell Obs. is a wonderful side trip. I did it 2 or 3 years ago. Going during
the day gives you the history tour, while the night tour is reserved for
observing. I really enjoyed the history tour! A funny side bar is that I
also went back to do the observing. I traveled from NYC to Lowell OBs. to
wait in line for an hour, for a 10 second look at...
Alberio !?!! You gotta be kidding me! Nope that was it. "Thanks for
coming."
But anyway, the day tour really pointed out Lowell's problem. While he was an
educated man, he was just an amateur with lots of expensive "toys." Instead
of have no preconceived notions about the work, he based all his ideas on
what had gone before as many amateurs do today.
The tourguide also tells you that if his scope had a "little more aperture,"
he would have seen that Chaperelli's (sp?) canals were just geologic
features.
After taking the tour my opinion of Lowell went from dopey guy to Great
Astronomer.
So who knows about our friend Hoagland? I happen to be in the camp that he's
dealing in sci-fi, but yet to be written history will tell the story.
     Kevin K

--part1_9e.2311d73c.29ba4336_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/8/02 2:24:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, arizonakeith_at_cox.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Lowell observatory is still open today and provides extensive education and<BR>
outreach activities to educate visitors and school children about the<BR>
exciting world of astronomy.<BR>
And is worth the visit if your ever in Flagstaff area.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Lowell Obs. is a wonderful side trip. I did it 2 or 3 years ago. Going during the day gives you the history tour, while the night tour is reserved for observing. I really enjoyed the history tour!&nbsp; A funny side bar is that I also went back to do the observing. I traveled from NYC to Lowell OBs. to wait in line for an hour, for a 10 second look at... <BR>
Alberio !?!!&nbsp; You gotta be kidding me!&nbsp; Nope that was it. "Thanks for coming."<BR>
But anyway, the day tour really pointed out Lowell's problem. While he was an educated man, he was just an amateur with lots of expensive "toys."&nbsp; Instead of have no preconceived notions about the work, he based all his ideas on what had gone before as many amateurs do today. <BR>
The tourguide also tells you that if his scope had a "little more aperture," he would have seen that Chaperelli's (sp?) canals were just geologic features. <BR>
After taking the tour my opinion of Lowell went from dopey guy to Great Astronomer. <BR>
So who knows about our friend Hoagland? I happen to be in the camp that he's dealing in sci-fi, but yet to be written history will tell the story.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Kevin K</FONT></HTML>

--part1_9e.2311d73c.29ba4336_boundary--