[meteorite-list] E chondrites

From: LABENNE METEORITES <metlabo1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:25 2004

Hi,

  We have found a very nice EH3 in 1997, the meteorite SAH97096, and its
pairing group, see our web page at
http://www.labenne-meteorites.com/97096.htm . It can be classified among
the most primitive enstatite chondrite comparable to Qingzhen and Parsa. It
contains olivine chondrules and types II chondrules fragments. This
meteorite has been described as a highly primitive EH3 chondrite that has
retained primary accretional nebular features in the form of sulfide-metal
rich chondrules. The main mass SAH97091, EH3 is a single stone found in
1997, weighing 6140g.
To learn more about this EH3, perhaps the most primitive EH3 chondrite :
**SAH97096. A highly primitive EH3 chondrite with layered
sulfide-metal-rich chondrules. M.K.Weisberg and
M.Prinz.http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC98/pdf/1741.pdf
**Unusually abundant refractory inclusions and iron oxyde-rich silicates in
an EH3 chondrite, SAH97159 (paired with the SAH97096 and
SAH97158http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2000/pdf/5101.pdf
**In situ analysis of the iodine-xenon system in a Saharan EH3 chondrite.
J.A.Whitby, J.DGilmour, and G.Turner.
**Bourot-Denise, M.; Perron, C. Shock-induced Transformations in an EH3
Chondrite.

At 10:08 PM 3/4/02 +0100, Bernd Pauli HD wrote:
>Jeannie wrote:
>
> > I had someone ask me about a meteorite that perhaps
> > originated from Mercury, or the orbit of Mercury...
>

>Hi Jeannie and List,
>
>Although O.R. Norton's wonderful new book on meteorites is
>to be released in North America on April 1, there is still a lot of
>invaluable information in RFS I and II - but who am I telling that :-)
>
>NORTON O.R. (1998) Rocks From Space, p. 190, E-Chondrites:
>
>E-chondrites are rare, representing less than 2 % of the stony
>meteorites, and only twenty-four(*) are known. They must have
>formed in an oxygen -depleted environment, since most of their
>iron occurs either as metal or in combination with sulfur, forming
>the iron-sulfide mineral troilite.
>In ordinary chondrites, pyroxene contains both magnesium and
>iron in a ratio depending on the availability of oxygen. Not so the
>E-chondrites. Their pyroxene contains no iron, only magnesium.
>This almost pure magnesium silicate pyroxene is called enstatite,
>and accounts for about 65 percent of the mineral content of these
>meteorites. Thus, they are called enstatite chondrites, or E-chondrites.
>It's not surprising to see a fayalite content of less than 1 %. Like the
>ordinary chondrites, E-chondrites are subclassified into H and L types
>depending on total iron. EH-chondrites have more total iron (about 30
>percent) and more metal. EL-chondrites have less total iron (about 25
>percent) and less metal.
>Their low oxygen content suggests that they formed even closer
>to the Sun than the H-chondrites, possibly inside Mercury's orbit.
>

>Best wishes,
>
>Bernd
>
>(*) Meanwhile, four years later there are:
>
>088 Non-Antarctic E chondrites in my databases
> (not included are the recent Hot Desert Finds)
>210 US-Antarctic E chondrites
>035 Jap-Antarctic E chondrites (incomplete data records)
>
>As usual, this statistical obverview does not take into
>consideration the (tentatively) paired specimens.
>

>Best regards,
>
>Bernd

                                     Meteoriticaly Yours,

                 Marc, Luc & Jim Labenne.

Meteorites for Science, Education and Collectors

LABENNE METEORITES
BP 57
02700 TERGNIER
FRANCE