[meteorite-list] Re: Kitchen Comet Cows

From: George Blahun Jr. <ks1u_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:24 2004

Hello everyone, I'd just like to share an observation here without passing
judgement on anyone else or their opinions. Although I no longer teach, I
have a background in math and science education. To me, the primary focus
has to be on getting the audience to learn what is being taught and to
remember it for more than just a few minutes. I too loved Mr. Wizard, but I
recognize that today's students would not react positively to this approach.
As much as I'd like them to be thrilled about a subject before anything is
presented to them, that's just not reality. Whatever it takes to keep this
country from losing a generation of scientists, within reason, is OK with
me. Crude or not, there is plenty of room for divergent approaches to
learning. I'll bet those kids never forget where the methane comes from or
that there;s methane in comets.

Respectfully,
George