[meteorite-list] How to make a Kitchen Comet

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:24 2004

Re: comet in the classroom:

Also, you will notice over an hour or two that the nucleus will fizz and pop
as dry ice sublimates and CO2 bubbles break through the comet crust and form
small craters. As this continues, the nucleus begins to look very much like
the surface of an asteroid. The black dirt gives it the necessary coloring.
Otherwise it just becomes another snowball. It's neat for children (or
anyone else) to see this nucleus "evolve". Be careful, though when letting
your comet out of the bag or it will start to fly around the room in a
highly elliptical orbit, using the makers head for the focus. :=)

Ron Hartman