[meteorite-list] Vienna Museum Photos, And Some Questions...

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:36 2004

June 29, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

Excellent pictures Mr. Jim Strope! I hope you and Mr.
Mike Farmer were not too petrified my the sheer
magnitude of the meteoritic collection that the museum
would mistaken you two as newly arrived wax figures,
thus, resulting in the accidental removal of both of
you to a back room and labeled "Modern Meteorite
Enthusiasts"!

In any event, all this discussion about the meteoritic
side of the museum has sparked a few questions...

1. Does someone happen to know what is the oldest
meteorite displayed there or otherwise kept?

2. Did anyone happen to see any Michigan meteorites
during the visits?

3. Due to the happy fact that the Vienna Museum was
preserving meteorites years before most scientists
accepted the view that there are stones falling from
the sky, some of the oldest falls in the world have
been thus saved from the onslaught of centuries of
harsh earthly weather! Because of this, is there the
possibility that there are meteorites from the
museum's early beginnings that have been forgotten,
misplaced and/or otherwise unclassified to this day?

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA