[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: Will space cities get pelted ?]

From: Jensan Scientifics/ Sci-Mall <jensan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:36 2004

Hi John, Walter, Al, and all,

Discovery Mag December 2001, "The Shooting Gallery"...

"In July of 1996, the French military satellite CERISE collided with a
briefcase-sized piece of debris from the Ariane 1, a French rocket
launched 10 years earlier."

Impacting at 31,000 mph, the collision sheared off a 20-foot boom and
tumbled the satellite. It was later stabilized and continued to
function.

Also in the article is information about designing impact shielding for
spacecraft.

Best,
Dave Coleman