[meteorite-list] Green meteorites

From: MuseumStore/NatureSource <musnat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:35 2004

Hi Tracy,

Don't forget about the olivine (peridot) in pallasites! I know that
somewhere, someone has faceted small peridots from the Esquel but I can't
remember who off the top of my head. Also there are many beautiful faceted
moldavites.

As for maw-sit-sit, it is a rock composed primarily of kosmochlor (ureyite)
with varying combinations and amounts of amphibole group minerals, chlorite
group minerals, and feldspar, as well as other minerals. Chemical
composition varies with mineral content. It is opaque, saturated green with
dark green to black veining or mottling. The black spots are kosmochlor
concentrations.

Regards,
Jeanne Devon
The Museum Store/The Nature Source