[meteorite-list] Re: Willendorf figurine and moldavites

From: marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:35 2004

Citeren Herbert Raab <herbert.raab_at_utanet.at>:

> Marco Langbroek wrote:
> > By the way, not to disappoint anyone: but the figurine on display
> > in the museum, is actually a copy. The real one is kept in a safe.

> As far as I know, the copy has been replaced by the original a few
> years ago, when some sponsor paid for a safe glass display case
> with alarm equipment and bulletproof glass.

This then is a very recent change indeed. My colleague Alexander did his PhD on
Gravettian figurines from central Europe and tells me that the real one
recently still was kept in the safe, in a velvet lined box.

Interestingly, he also told me that there still are artefacts from what might
be moldavite present in the Willendorf collection kept at the museum.

- Marco