[meteorite-list] Sikhote-Alin

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:35 2004

Mark Fox wrote:

> Take a closer look at the beautiful Sikhote-Alin fragments
> that adorn many collections (including my sister's). We may
> not think of it, but the fireball that brought that meteoritic
> material to earth made quite a mess, big craters and all!
> Trees were lodged with them and some of the pieces were
> actually altered to shrapnel.

Hi Mark and List,

If Vagn Buchwald's observations are still valid, most of the total
mass came down as shrapnel but because there are so many deeply
regmaglypted specimens on the meteorite market now that the Iron
Curtain is open, it would be interesting to re-evaluate the ratio
between regmaglypted pieces and jagged shrapnel ones.

Cheers,

Bernd