[meteorite-list] Re: Spanish Meteorite?

From: Herbert Raab <herbert.raab_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:33 2004

Walter Branch asked:
> The correct year for the meteorite fall is 1994.

The reports in Sky & Telescope said it turned out to be slag.
I am currently in the office and unable to check the old
volumes of S&T, but I searched with Google and found this
site: <http://tierra.rediris.es/merge/getafe.html>

You will find some abstracts describing the "fall" first, with
a few b/w images of the stone, the broken wind shield, etc.
Later, you will find some abstracts describing the true nature
of the stome (e.g., "space and terrestrial exposure ages which
do not exceed 1,000 and 520,000 years, respectively" and "14C
data are consistent with 'modern' carbon originated in the period
1955-1958 and not earlier or more recently. The possibility that
Getafe could have a man-made origin (i.e. ceramic and refractory
tiles, industrial slag) is also considered.", and "Larnite can
also be artificially formed, especially during the synthesis of
high technology refractory and ceramics materials, and as a mineral
component of some industrial slags.")

Hope this helps,
  Herbert