[meteorite-list] Help with Strange Rock Part2

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

--------------EF48BBE5E1AF29C56E81EF28

Ron,
Grey streak is magnetite. Check out Dave Freeman's specimen.
 Hot Rocks .

Ken Newton
#9632 me

MrX3010_at_aol.com wrote:

> Ok I performed a tile test on my suspect rock and it showed a grayish
> silver streak on the tile so I don't think it's hematite. So this is
> what I have:
> 1. It's well worn and shows some signs of oxidation.
> 2. It's heavier than other rocks it's size.
> 3. A magnet is strongly drawn to it.
> 4. It seems to exhibit a weak magnetic field but I only noticed this
> after subjecting it to a strong magnet, in other words it might have
> resulted from that contact as it is very weak. I.e. (Only able to
> attract small pins and small paper clip)
> If anyone would like to see a picture of it let me know I'll try to
> get some good shots of it today.
>
> Next I will have a nickel test performed on it, in the meantime are
> there any other tests that I can do myself?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

--------------EF48BBE5E1AF29C56E81EF28

Ron,
Rocks</a> .
a tile test on my suspect rock and it showed a grayish silver streak on
the tile so I don't think it's hematite.&nbsp; So this is what I have:</font></font>
some signs of oxidation.</font></font>
rocks it's size.</font></font>
drawn to it.</font></font>
weak magnetic field but I only noticed this after subjecting it to a strong
magnet, in other words it might have resulted from that contact as it is
very weak. I.e.&nbsp; (Only able to attract small pins and small paper
clip)</font></font>
see a picture of it let me know I'll try to get some good shots of it today.</font></font>
test performed on it, in the meantime are there any other tests that I
can do myself?</font></font>