[meteorite-list] Tackling The Mysterious Portales Valley

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

May 10, 2002

Greetings Mr Rhett Bourland and Fellow Meteorite
Enthusiasts!

Good grief! What an "unearthly" meteorite Portales
Valley really is! I just finished reading Meteorite
Studies by Mr. David Weir, the link to which was
kindly given to me by Mr. Ken Newton. It even was
mentioned there that there are many similarities
between this meteorite and my favorite, "Rose City"!
It looks like I will not be done anytime soon with
pondering this meteoritic subject, among my many
others!

According to Meteorite Studies, it appears that
Portales Valley is indeed brecciated! If I read
right, David refers to the "stony" portions as the
impact melt areas. Is this correct?

Also, is there anymore easy-to-obtain information
regarding Portales Valley that someone knows of?

The questions that I asked in my last post were just a
precursor regarding this H6 unordinary chondrite. I
was going to use the data to propose a possible
problem regarding one of the formation theories. When
time permits, and only if I still see the problem, I
will post it for all to comment.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA