[meteorite-list] Holey Lunar Crusts! --- Another Theory

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

May 8, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

The following is my latest theory concerning the
vesicles present "on" (not in) NWA 482 and at least
one other lunar achondrite. I had already shared it
with Mr. John Divelbiss who thought it might be good
to post to the list.

The Theory...

Possibly the vesicles are the product of regmaglyptic
processes, involving a mineral within the meteorite
with an extremely low boiling point and/or is quite
volatile. Thus, the "Swiss cheese" crust, if you
would like to call it that, is just regmaglyptic, only
on a more unfamiliar scale. I am not aware of all the
minerals that have been found in lunar meteorites, but
since the vesicles appear to be quite small, the
existence of the culprit mineral would likely be an
accessory one (and not in a homogeneous solution).
Also, if one were to have a chart containing the
boiling point of various minerals, one may be able to
find out or narrow down the mineral's identity and
give plausible evidence to the regmaglypts theory.

I think any comments on this truly mysterious
meteoritic occurrence will make for some interesting
discussion (along side Portales Valley, of course)!

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA